Self-confidence shouldn’t be your only concern when it comes to missing teeth. Missing teeth can seriously impair your ability to bite or chew and cause additional strain to surrounding teeth. As your local cosmetic dentist in Charleston, SC and James Island, SC, Dale Probst, DMD has a list of reasons why you should replace your missing teeth:
- Shifting of remaining teeth – Your teeth might shift and weaken in order to make up for the extra space and work they’re having to do. Over time, not only will your smile change, but there could be other serious impacts to your dental and facial structure.
- Tooth loss – A few missing teeth could eventually lead to further tooth loss. You can’t afford to lose certain teeth because it could result in a misaligned bite. For example, back teeth are essential to chewing and a comfortable bite. Losing them will increase your chances of having a misaligned bite, which can cause headaches, facial pain, and tooth wear. A Charleston dentist can help you avoid these problems.
- Gum disease and tooth decay – Studies show that missing teeth often lead to an increased risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Your remaining teeth will end up collecting bacteria that was once spread out over more teeth. This is harmful because bacteria is a leading contributor to most dental issues. Make sure you’re visiting a dentist near you for routine dental cleanings.
- Heightened tooth sensitivity – With the exposure to more bacteria and plaque, your remaining teeth will become more sensitive. This means more frequent pain and discomfort.
- Bone loss and facial sagging – Teeth naturally add shape to our faces. They also enhance your bone structure. Missing teeth can result in areas of facial sagging, weakened facial bone, and even bone loss.
If you’re in need of a cosmetic dentist in Charleston, SC or James Island, SC to help you replace your missing teeth, call the office of Dale Probst, DMD right away. You can rely on us for convenient, comfortable general dentistry, family dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry services.