Sedation dentistry is designed to help individuals who have trouble with dental procedures due to anxiety or other issues. But is this type of treatment right for you? In this post, our James Island dentist, Dale Probst, DMD, wants to help you learn more about whether you’d be a good candidate for sedation dentistry:
Who is sedation dentistry for?
Sedation dentistry helps patients feel more relaxed while in the dentist’s chair. Once sedation medications are administered, a patient’s fears about needles or pain simply go away. If any of the following issues apply to you, you may want to visit a Charleston dentist who offers sedation dentistry.
- Do you put off going to the dentist – or don’t go at all – because of your fears?
- Have you had problems at a dental visit before that make you not want to go back?
- Do you have trouble sitting still or getting comfortable in the dentist’s chair?
- Are you embarrassed by the way your teeth look?
- Do you have sensitive teeth or a strong gag reflex?
- Are you afraid of needles or the sound of a dentist’s drill?
- Do numbing shots just not work for you?
- Do you need lots of dental work but need to have the procedures finished in one visit?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, consider sedation the next time you visit the dentist. When you call Dr. Probst about this service, he’ll talk to you about your reasons for wanting sedation and explain the process. He’ll also ask you about your general health. Then he’ll help you decide which type of sedation would be best for you.